Instant Pot Egg Biryani | Egg Pulav
Updated: Sep 19
When you are in a hurry and in no mood for cooking, yet want a delicious filling meal, this Instant Pot Egg Pulao recipe will come in handy.
This Egg Pulao recipe in Instant Pot is full of flavourful spices and is simple and easy to make. A true one pot meal, this Instant Pot Egg Biryani recipe will go perfectly well with some raita, pickle and fried papads / poppadoms on side. Check out how to make Instant Pot Egg Biryani in a quick video below.
Quick, easy to follow video with step-by-step instructions of how to make Egg Biryani in Instant Pot:
With just 4 minutes pressure cooking time, this Instant Pot Egg Pulav is a perfect meal for busy nights during the week. And as eggs and rice are the two main ingredients of this dish, it offers protein and carbohydrates to make it a filling healthy meal.
Instant Pot makes it so Quick and Easy
Normally making Pulao / Biryani does take up some time and you need to be extra careful while cooking as you can easily overcook making it mushy or burning it from the bottom.
But Instant Pot makes cooking rice dishes so quick and easy without having to baby sit them.
You first need to cook spices, onions, and tomatoes on sauté mode, then add rice, water, eggs and pressure cook it for only 4 minutes. That’s it, do a quick pressure release and your pulav / biryani is ready!
Exact Water and Rice Measurements
When cooking rice in Instant Pot cooker, it’s IMPORTANT to follow the MEASUREMENTS mentioned in the recipe precisely or else pulav/biryani can either become very sticky and mushy or burn from bottom.
I use 1:1.25 rice to water proportion when cooking rice in Instant Pot multi cooker. So, for 1 cup (250ml) rice, I have used 470 ml water.
Remember that rice should ONLY be RINSED and NOT soaked for this measurement to work. Using soaked rice with these measurements will make pulao/biryani sticky.
Also, as soon as Instant Pot turns off after pressure cooking, you need to do a quick pressure release or else rice will keep cooking further and turn mushy.
Finally, you will have to add rest of the ingredients, as shown in the video, mix gently and let it REST for a further 5 mins before serving so that each rice grain gets cooked thoroughly and is well separated for each other.
Browning the Onions
Brown onions add in a whole lot of extra flavour and texture to this Egg Biryani. You can brown the onions in a pan outside on a hob while rice is cooking in InstaPot or you can brown them in Instant Pot itself, remove them in a plate when done and continue with the process of making Egg Pulav. But remember to add brown onions only towards the end after the pulav/biryani is cooked so that its caramalised flavour and texture remains intact while eating.
This Instant Pot Eggs Biryani is a flavourful, satisfying, quick and easy to make meal on busy days and serves as a delicious lunch box alternative as well.
Check out the Recipe Card and Step-by-Step Instructions with Photos below.
Hard Boiling Eggs in Instant Pot
You can hard boil eggs to use in this recipe in Instant Pot pressure cooker itself. It is extremely quick and easy to hard boil eggs in Instant Pot and again they don’t need any monitoring at all. You just need to add water and eggs to instant pot, pressure cook and open the lid when done and perfect Hard Boiled Eggs are ready. Check out how to cook Hard Boiled Eggs in Instant Pot here.
Some OvalShelf’s quick and easy recipes that you will really love are:
Check out OvalShelf’s collection of Desserts / Sweets recipes.
Some trending OvalShelf recipes:
Recipe Card for Instant Pot Egg Biryani:
Latest OvalShelf recipes:
Step-by-step instructions with photos for Instant Pot Egg Pulav:
• Heat a pan on medium setting and add 1 TBSP oil, sliced onions, ½ tsp salt and sauté till onions turn golden brown. Keep them aside.
• Switch Instant Pot on and press Sauté - Normal button.
• Add 1 TBSP oil, cinnamon (Dalchini), black peppers (Kali Mirch), cloves (Laung), star anise (Chakra Phool), black cardamom (Badi Elaichi), green cardamom seeds (Elaichi), Indian bay leaves (Tej Patta), chopped onions, ginger paste, garlic paste, asafoetida (Hing) - optional, turmeric powder (Haldi), tomatoes, 2 tsp salt, mix well and cook whilst stirring till onions and tomatoes become soft.
• Then add red chilli powder, cumin (Jeera) powder, coriander (Dhaniya) powder, garam masala, yogurt (Dahi/Curd), rinsed basmati rice and mix well.
• Press cancel on Instant Pot.
• Add water and mix.
• Slit deshelled hard boiled eggs vertically half way through.
• Place them in Instant Pot.
• Secure the lid and turn steam release knob to sealing position.
• Pressure cook on High Pressure for 4 mins. Turn off Keep Warm mode.
• After Instant Pot turns off, turn the steam release knob to venting position for quick pressure release.
• After float valve falls down open the lid.
• Add browned onions, cilantro (Coriander) and mix gently BUT do not serve. Let it REST for 5 mins BEFORE serving.
• Instant Pot Egg Biryani is ready to serve after 5 mins.
♥ We LOVE hearing from you ♥
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
Click here to Subscribe to OvalShelf's YouTube Channel to get all our quick, precise and simple video recipes. YouTube subscription is FREE.