Spicy, tangy and full of bold flavours, Tawa Chicken (तवा चिकन) is a popular street food from the bustling city of Mumbai, India. This quick as well as easy chicken dish is cooked on a large flat griddle, known as tawa, using a unique blend of flavours.
Spicy chicken pieces in this dry dish taste awesome and will be perfect for your guests. This tempting chicken dish goes perfectly with a roti, paratha, phulka or even on its own as a starter. Learn how to make Tawa Chicken in a quick video below.
Quick, easy to follow video with step-by-step instructions of how to make Tawa Chicken:
Marinate to enhance the flavour
This Tawa Chicken recipe is made by marinating boneless chicken pieces in yogurt and a blend of spices for half an hour to allow flavours to penetrate the meat. You can marinate chicken for longer (several hours / overnight) if you have time, but remember to keep the marinated chicken in the refrigerator, if you are marinating for longer than half an hour.
This marinated chicken is then cooked on a large iron tawa along with some onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and spices. You can use an iron skillet or non-stick pan if you don’t own a tawa.
Simple and straight-forward yet mouth-wateringly delicious, this Chicken Tawa Fry can be served on its own or with roti, rice, naan or paratha and is a great choice to serve as a starter for large parties as it’s so quick and effortless to make.
Bold flavours and spicy taste
Chicken Tawa Masala is a spicy dish and will be loved by ones who enjoy heat in their food. Black pepper powder, red chilli powder and green chillies add heat to this dish. I have also used Kashmiri chilli powder which gives a nice red colour without making it too spicy.
But this Tawa Chicken Masala is not just about the heat, it’s got lot of flavours too! Mint (pudina) and cilantro (coriander) add flavour as well as freshness. Yogurt, tomatoes and chaat masala add tanginess for which this dish is known for. And if you serve it with a piece of lemon, which can be squeezed on top just before eating, it will add extra freshness as well as tanginess to this dish.
I like to add some single cream as well which makes this chicken dish slightly creamy, but you can skip adding this as its entirely optional and traditional Tawa Chicken does not have any cream in it. So, add only if you like a slightly creamy texture.
This Tawa Chicken is such a versatile dish that you can serve it as a starter or as a main. You can enjoy it on its own, or wrap it up in a roti and carry in your tiffin or roll it up in a naan or even sandwich it between two slices of bread and it will still taste great.
Follow this easy recipe and recreate the taste of Mumbai’s iconic street food, Tawa Chicken, at home!
Some OvalShelf’s quick and easy recipes that you will really love are:
Check out OvalShelf’s collection of Salads / Condiments recipes.
Some trending OvalShelf recipes:
Recipe Card for Tawa Chicken:
Latest OvalShelf recipes:
Step-by-step instructions with photos for Chicken Tawa Fry:
• In a bowl add chicken, ginger paste, garlic paste, salt, black pepper (Kali Mirch) powder, cumin (Jeera) powder, coriander (Dhaniya) powder, turmeric (Haldi) powder, red chilli powder, garam masala, yogurt and mix well and let it marinate for half an hour.
• In a bowl add coriander (Dhaniya) powder, cumin (Jeera) powder, red chilli powder, black pepper (Kali Mirch) powder, chaat masala and mix well and keep aside.
• After half an hour, heat an iron tawa/skillet or a non-stick pan on medium setting. To this add oil, chopped garlic, marinated chicken pieces and cook till chicken changes it’s colour to white.
• Then add onions, tomatoes, salt, Kashmiri chilli powder, ginger juliennes, chopped green chilli and mix well.
• Cover and cook till chicken is soft and tender. When you cut a piece of chicken it should be soft and white from inside and NOT pink.
• Now add previously mixed spices that were kept aside and mix well.
• Then roughly crush roasted dried fenugreek leaves (Kasuri Methi) in your hand and add to the chicken.
• Finally add garam masala, single cream (optional), mint / pudina (optional), cilantro (Coriander) and mix well.
• Delicious Tawa Chicken is ready! Serve hot with a piece of lemon and garnish with some cilantro (Coriander) on top.
♥ We LOVE hearing from you ♥
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
Click here to Subscribe to OvalShelf's YouTube Channel to get all our quick, precise and simple video recipes. YouTube subscription is FREE.