Updated: Sep 21
This sweet and tangy Gujarati Kadhi is quick and really easy to make and taste absolutely delicious. You can have this Indian Yogurt Soup on its own or on top of some hot steaming rice.
This Gujarati Kadhi recipe uses aromatic spices, ginger, green chillies and dried red chillies for flavour and gram flour/besan to thicken the Kadi.
Learn how to make flawless Gujrati Kadhi each time, that does not curdle on heating, in a quick video with perfect measurements below.
Quick, easy to follow video with step-by-step instructions of How to make Gujarati Kadhi:
Ensure there are no LUMPS
The key to making this Gujarati Kadi scrumptious is ensuring there are no lumps. So first prepare gram flour / besan slurry, then whisk the yogurt / curd well and then whisk again after combining yogurt, slurry and water. This will ensure that Gujarati Kadi is completely lump free.
Some say that Dahi Kadhi is prone to curdling! But if you follow this yogurt recipe closely, your Gujarati Kadhi will never curdle.
There are a few reasons why any Dahi Kadhi curdles. One of the most important reasons is temperature shock. So, if you reverse the procedure and create the tempering first in the pan and then pour cold yoghurt (dahi/curd) that’s just out of the fridge into the hot oil on top, it is likely that due to huge temperature difference yogurt / dahi will curdle.
Also, sometimes when you don’t use enough gram flour / besan or if you cook Kadi on very high heat and don’t stir it enough it might curdle.
So, if you follow the procedure shown in the video and the recipe closely, mix all the ingredients before placing the pan on heat, stir it whilst cooking and let the temperature of Kadhi rise gradually and then pour the tempering in the end when Kadi is hot so that it doesn’t get temperature shock, I’m sure you will always get a delicious Kadhi that doesn’t curdle.
Sweet, Sour and Slightly Spicy, Gujrati Kadhi has it all
This yogurt recipe is so tasty that having Gujarati Kadhi Chawal (rice) is like having a treat that’s not just delicious but healthy too.
Gujrati Kadhi is slightly on the sweeter side so has little bit more sugar then usual. Cloves, cinnamon and curry leaves impart a fantastic aroma whilst ghee, ginger, cumin seeds (jeera), cilantro (coriander) really lift the flavour.
Fenugreek seeds (methi dana) add a very slight bitter taste and texture, that actually feels welcoming in sweet Kadhi.
Green chillies and dried red chillies add the needed slightly spicy taste.
Temper and cover to enhance the flavour
How to make Kadi even more aromatic and flavourful? The key is to cover it up immediately after pouring the tempering and let it rest for 5 mins. This will ensure that the aroma from tempering doesn’t escape and settles down well into the Kadhi, making it even more aromatic and flavourful.
Also, adding cilantro / coriander right at the end will keep it fresh and full of flavour whilst serving.
Have this mouth-watering Gujarati Kadhi on top of hot boiled rice or you can even have it on its own like an Indian Yogurt Soup! Try it…
Here are other OvalShelf’s Veg and Breakfast/Snacks recipes.
Some OvalShelf’s quick and easy recipes that you will really love are:
Check out OvalShelf’s collection of Desserts/Sweets recipes.
Some trending OvalShelf recipes:
Latest OvalShelf recipes:
Step-by-step instructions with photos:
• Take gram flour in a bowl and add 3 TBSP water, little at a time, to make a slurry without any lumps and keep aside.
• Take yogurt in a pan/cookware and whisk well, making sure there are no lumps.
• To this add 1¼ cup water (or as needed for desired consistency) whilst whisking.
• Then add gram flour slurry and mix well.
• Now add sugar, salt, cloves, cinnamon, green chillies, ginger paste and mix well.
• Cook this yogurt mixture on medium setting whilst stirring occasionally till it starts boiling and rises to the top of the pan/cookware.
• Remove, keep aside and lower the heat setting.
• Heat another small pan and add ghee, cumin seeds, asafoetida (optional), fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, dried red chillies and mix well.
• Pour this tempering over the yogurt mixture.
• Cover immediately and let it rest for 5 mins.
• After 5 mins, add cilantro and mix well.
• Gujarati Kadhi is ready. Serve hot!
♥ We LOVE hearing from you ♥
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
Click here to Subscribe to OvalShelf's YouTube Channel to get all our quick, precise and simple video recipes. YouTube subscription is FREE.